Lauren, Katelyn, Debra, and Brian
The Crompton Mill was the first mill to make velvet and corduroy in the
U.S. Crompton was called the Velvet Village. Crompton is located in West
Warwick. Crompton is known for St.
Mary's Church. It is the oldest Catholic Church in Rhode Island. St.
Mary's Church is on Church St. in Crompton. It is also known for the Crompton
Mill and the Pawtuxet Valley
Historical and Preservation Society, Crompton playground and the basketball
court. Crompton was in the western side of Warwick until 1913. Today it
is a small village (part) of West Warwick. Many Polish people live in Crompton
and some Swedish immigrants. Crompton is in the southern part of West Warwick.
Crompton was developed in a heavily wooded area in 1807. The south branch
of the river runs through Crompton and is sometimes called the Flat River.
Twenty acres of land was purchased to build the first stone cotton mill
called the Stone Jug.
III. Human Environment
The Crompton Mill won a golden medal at the Pan American Expedition in Buffalo
in 1901 for making the best velvet and corduroy. More than 50 people worked
in the mill. There were 30-35 machines on each floor and 3-5 floors in the
mill. The Crompton Mill was called the Stone Jug Mill. The Crompton Mill
was the first to make the cordury and velvet in the U.S. The Crompton Mill
was made of granite. The Crompton Mill was built in 1807 and it caught on
fire in 1992 (2 pages of photos).
All the kindergarten students gathered their chairs and watched, so
did their teachers, and parents. All of the kids thought it would spread
to their school. Someone set the mill on fire, "What a waste,"
said Mr. Guerreiro of the West Warwick fire dept. "A lot of people
walked by crying, saying that their grandparents helped build the mill".
Crompton has three major roads. They are Crompton St.., Pulaski St.. and
Rt.. 3. On Pulaski St. there was the Crompton Mill, railroad tracks ran
behind it. On Rt.. 3 there are lots of businesses like restaurants, hair
salons, video stores and flower shops. It is a very busy street.
The borders of Crompton are Centerville, Coventry, East Greenwitch, and
Warwick. They built
a cathloic church called Saint Mary's after a large group of Irish immigrants
settled in Crompton. Saint Mary's Church is the oldest catholic church in
Back to the mill Homepage.